Meeting Date – 09/07/20
Motion 2 – Clarification of the terms of the dispute to be called with the university
This branch notes that:
1. Management rejected the proposal from staff of a loan from staff salaries with accompanying conditions;
2. Management’s failure to seriously consider alternative approaches to the University’s financial position;
3. The resolution passed on 24 June mandated the branch officers to enter into a local dispute with the University over pay cuts;
This branch believes that:
1. The threat of pay cuts is only one of a number of threats faced by staff at Roehampton as a result of the University’s cost-saving measures in the 2020-2021 academic year;
2. Any further reduction of posts or deterioration in working conditions threatens the University’s future by further reducing the ‘student experience’ and staff morale;
3. The branch should also go into dispute on these other and existing threats to jobs and working conditions.
This branch resolves that if management refuses to reassure branch officers that there will be no further attacks on job security or terms and conditions of employment, branch officers will declare a dispute over the following issues:
1. Further pay cuts;
2. Future use of redundancies as a response to the university’s financial situation;
3. Worsening terms and conditions.